Tuesday, May 3, 2022

Overcoming Temptation

Psalm 34:18 The Lord is near to those who have a broken heart, and saves such as have a contrite spirit.
Psalm 34:4 I sought the Lord, and He heard me, and delivered me from all my fears.
Psalm 32:3-7 (NIV) When I kept silent, my bones wasted away through my groaning all day long. For day and night your hand was heavy on me; my strength was sapped as in the heat of summer. Then I acknowledged my sin to you and did not cover up my iniquity. I said, “I will confess my transgressions to the Lord.” And you forgave the guilt of my sin. Therefore let all the faithful pray to you while you may be found; surely the rising of the mighty waters will not reach them. You are my hiding place; you will protect me from trouble and surround me with songs of deliverance.
Matthew 26:41 Watch and pray, lest you enter into temptation. The spirit indeed is willing, but the flesh is weak.
1 Corinthians 10:13 No temptation has overtaken you except such as is common to man; but God is faithful, who will not allow you to be tempted beyond what you are able, but with the temptation will also make the way of escape, that you may be able to bear it.
Hebrews 4:15-16 For we do not have a High Priest who cannot sympathize with our weaknesses, but was in all points tempted as we are, yet without sin. Let us therefore come boldly to the throne of grace, that we may obtain mercy and find grace to help in time of need.
2 Corinthians 12:9 And He said to me, “My grace is sufficient for you, for My strength is made perfect in weakness.” Therefore most gladly I will rather boast in my infirmities, that the power of Christ may rest upon me.
James 4:6-7 But He gives more grace. Therefore He says: "God resists the proud, But gives grace to the humble. Therefore submit to God. Resist the devil and he will flee from you."
1 Corinthians 15:56-57 The sting of death is sin, and the strength of sin is the law. But thanks be to God, who gives us the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Psalm 51:10 Create in me a clean heart, O God, and renew a steadfast spirit within me.
Psalm 139:23-24 Search me, O God, and know my heart; Try me, and know my anxieties; and see if there is any wicked way in me, and lead me in the way everlasting.
1 Thessalonians 5:23-24 Now may the God of peace Himself sanctify you completely; and may your whole spirit, soul, and body be preserved blameless at the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ. He who calls you is faithful, who also will do it.

Psalm 119:105-106 Your word is a lamp to my feet and a light to my path. I have sworn and confirmed That I will keep Your righteous judgments.
Joshua 24:15  “And if it seems evil to you to serve the Lord, choose for yourselves this day whom you will serve, whether the gods which your fathers served that were on the other side of the River, or the gods of the Amorites, in whose land you dwell. But as for me and my house, we will serve the Lord.”
Daniel 1:8 Daniel purposed in his heart that he would not defile himself...

Psalm 101:3 I will set nothing wicked before my eyes; I hate the work of those who fall away; It shall not cling to me.
Psalm 119:37 Turn away my eyes from looking at worthless things, and revive me in Your way.
Psalm 36:9 For with You is the fountain of life; In Your light we see light.
Psalm 25:15 My eyes are ever toward the Lord, for He shall pluck my feet out of the net
Psalm 27:4 One thing I have desired of the Lord, that will I seek: That I may dwell in the house of the Lord all the days of my life, to behold the beauty of the Lord, and to inquire in His temple.
John 1:29  “Behold! The Lamb of God who takes away the sin of the world!"
John 8:12 Then Jesus spoke to them again, saying, “I am the light of the world. He who follows Me shall not walk in darkness, but have the light of life.”
John 11:9 
"If anyone walks in the day, he does not stumble, because he sees the light of this world.
1 John 3:2-3 Beloved, now we are children of God; and it has not yet been revealed what we shall be, but we know that when He is revealed, we shall be like Him, for we shall see Him as He is. And everyone who has this hope in Him purifies himself, just as He is pure.
2 Corinthians 3:18 But we all, with unveiled face, beholding as in a mirror the glory of the Lord, are being transformed into the same image from glory to glory, just as by the Spirit of the Lord.
Romans 12:2 And do not be conformed to this world, but be transformed by the renewing of your mind, that you may prove what is that good and acceptable and perfect will of God.
Philippians 4:8 ...whatever things are true, whatever things are noble, whatever things are just, whatever things are pure, whatever things are lovely, whatever things are of good report, if there is any virtue and if there is anything praiseworthy—meditate on these things.
Colossians 3:2-3, 9-10 
Set your mind on things above, not on things on the earth. For you died, and your life is hidden with Christ in God.... you have put off the old man with his deeds, and have put on the new man who is renewed in knowledge according to the image of Him who created him
2 Corinthians 10:5  casting down arguments and every high thing that exalts itself against the knowledge of God, bringing every thought into captivity to the obedience of Christ
Romans 6:11 
...reckon yourselves to be dead indeed to sin, but alive to God in Christ Jesus our Lord.
Galatians 2:20 I have been crucified with Christ; it is no longer I who live, but Christ lives in me; and the life which I now live in the flesh I live by faith in the Son of God, who loved me and gave Himself for me.

Psalm 51:11-12 Do not cast me away from Your presence, and do not take Your Holy Spirit from me. Restore to me the joy of Your salvation, and uphold me by Your generous Spirit.
Psalm 23:3-4 He restores my soul; He leads me in the paths of righteousness for His name’s sake. Yea, though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I will fear no evil; For You are with me; Your rod and Your staff, they comfort me.
1 Corinthians 6:18-19 
Flee sexual immorality. Every sin that a man does is outside the body, but he who commits sexual immorality sins against his own body. Or do you not know that your body is the temple of the Holy Spirit who is in you, whom you have from God, and you are not your own?
Galatians 5:16 I say then: Walk in the Spirit, and you shall not fulfill the lust of the flesh
Romans 8:13-15 For if you live according to the flesh you will die; but if by the Spirit you put to death the deeds of the body, you will live. For as many as are led by the Spirit of God, these are sons of God. For you did not receive the spirit of bondage again to fear, but you received the Spirit of adoption by whom we cry out, “Abba, Father.”
2 Timothy 1:7 
For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind.

Psalm 16:7-8 I will bless the Lord who has given me counsel; My heart also instructs me in the night seasons. I have set the Lord always before me; Because He is at my right hand I shall not be moved.
Romans 8:26 ...the Spirit also helps in our weaknesses. For we do not know what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit Himself makes intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

Psalm 34:13-14 Keep your tongue from evil, and your lips from speaking deceit. Depart from evil and do good; Seek peace and pursue it.
2 Timothy 2:22 Flee also youthful lusts; but pursue righteousness, faith, love, peace with those who call on the Lord out of a pure heart.
Romans 12:21 Do not be overcome by evil, but overcome evil with good.
Matthew 5:16 Let your light so shine before men, that they may see your good works and glorify your Father in heaven.
Philippians 2:3-4 Let nothing be done through selfish ambition or conceit, but in lowliness of mind let each esteem others better than himself. Let each of you look out not only for his own interests, but also for the interests of others.

Psalm 37:23-24 The steps of a good man are ordered by the Lord, And He delights in his way. Though he fall, he shall not be utterly cast down; For the Lord upholds him with His hand.
Psalm 94:18-19 If I say, “My foot slips,” Your mercy, O Lord, will hold me up. In the multitude of my anxieties within me, Your comforts delight my soul.
Psalm 121:3 He will not let your foot slip— he who watches over you will not slumber
Psalm 40:1-3 I waited patiently for the Lord; And He inclined to me, and heard my cry. He also brought me up out of a horrible pit, Out of the miry clay, And set my feet upon a rock, And established my steps. He has put a new song in my mouth— Praise to our God; Many will see it and fear, And will trust in the Lord.
Jude 24 Now to Him who is able to keep you from stumbling, And to present you faultless before the presence of His glory with exceeding joy

Psalm 119:133 Direct my steps by Your word, and let no iniquity have dominion over me.
Psalm 119:11 Your word I have hidden in my heart, that I might not sin against You.
Psalm 40:8 I delight to do Your will, O my God, and Your law is within my heart
Psalm 119:165 Great peace have those who love Your law, and nothing causes them to stumble.
Psalm 91:4 He shall cover you with His feathers, and under His wings you shall take refuge; His truth shall be your shield and buckler.
Isaiah 59:19 ...When the enemy comes in like a flood, The Spirit of the Lord will lift up a standard against him.
John 8:31b-32, 34, 36 
[Jesus says] “If you abide in My word, you are My disciples indeed. And you shall know the truth, and the truth shall make you free... whoever commits sin is a slave of sin.... if the Son makes you free, you shall be free indeed."
2 Peter 1:3-4 as His divine power has given to us all things that pertain to life and godliness, through the knowledge of Him who called us by glory and virtue, by which have been given to us exceedingly great and precious promises, that through these you may be partakers of the divine nature, having escaped the corruption that is in the world through lust. 

Related posts: 

A future post will look at finding shelter in God's presence through prayer

No comments:

Post a Comment